Flaming shots are super fun to make, but you have to know how to do it. Otherwise, your “professional” bar stunt will quickly become a flop!
Basically, it boils down to knowing that:
A) Alcohol is flammable.
B) Shot glass breaks when heated.
In general, follow these rules:
- Heat the shot glass up first, but not with a direct flame. This will decrease the chance that it will crack.
- The best way to do it is to preheat the alcohol in a spoon, set the alcohol on fire, and then add it to a pre-heated glass (which already contains the cocktail). If done right, you get a flaming shot.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher handy–in many places, it’s actually the law that you do so!
- Avoid burning your eyebrows off–the flame generally rises up pretty quickly!
- Especially in the summer, don’t keep heated alcohol around too long…you don’t want the wrong thing to catch on fire.
- Keep flammable objects far AWAY–even bottles full of alcohol, your clothing, etc.
- If you already lit a drink on fire, do NOT add more alcohol…this is a face fire waiting to happen & is quite dangerous!